History / timeline
We submitted a planning application for the Nant Llesg surface coal mine and an associated land reclamation scheme to Caerphilly County Council in October 2013. Like Ffos-y-fran, we would utilize surface mining techniques at Nant Llesg as part of the remediation procedure for the land, a proportion of which is currently derelict.
We would restore it to a standard safe for the use of local communities and more productive for authorised graziers and wildlife.
Aspirational timeline assuming a positive planning decision early 2015
- 2016 – Commencement of works on site
- 2016 – Commencement of remediation works on site
- 2017 – Commencement of coal production
- 2019 – Completion of early remediation works on site
- 2026 – Completion of coal production
- 2029 – Remediation complete